Sunday, January 22, 2006

A shameless ploy

Yes. One could find this a shameless ploy to hawk an unpublished book. The working title is the same as this blog is titled. But during the course of writing my narrative about the 1986 Mets , I rediscovered writing. While growing up in the mid- seventies, baseball was still experienced for most through the medium of AM radio. For me it was the hapless Atlanta Braves; they the royal blue and white variety. Many nights were spent just listening. The great game had to be imagined. As my own epiphany regarding my own big league baseball career-or rather the untenable dream with respect to talent-ended in my early teen years, writing about this game I still have a unquenchable yearn for became the void. A beat reporter for my Braves became the new dream. That until a football coach told me about a career in athletic training. Epiphany number two came at age 17. I would become a trainer for a Major League Baseball team. This was on a warm Florida spring day in 1976. Less than nine years later a phone call would mark the attainment of the dream. It would be with the New York Mets and I was thus inserted into the middle of one of baseball's greatest stories at the beginning of the 1985 season.

1 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Blogger The Yankee Despiser said...

People may not realize this, but Bob Sikes was once traded for Willie McGee.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home