Monday, March 27, 2006

Today at Tradition Field

Steve Trachsel was removed during a rough inning today and sought refuge in the mound area beyond the bullpen area down the rightfield line. He needed to get more pitching in. Veteran Pitching Coach Al Jackson awaited him. I can't think of a better one to talk to after such an outing as Trachsel had today. Jackson is a jewel and the Mets have been fortunate to have him for so long..............Long after the crowd had gone, Ricky Henderson was giving a private lesson to a young Mets player on the field behind the stadium. .......Having lunch in the press lounge today before the game was long time Dodger and Cub great Rick Monday, Dodger icon Tommy Lasorda, scouts Bobby Wine and Dave Hollins. Lasorda naturally found a way to hold court.........Cliff Floyd hit one of the hardest balls I've ever seem today. Brett Tomko seemed to duck and the centerfielder charged only to have the ball sail over his head. What a rocket........A few of the writers confided to me that David Wright is one of the best guys to ever wear a Met uniform........A great situational hitter, Paul LoDuca easily drove home Floyd with a basehit afer Wright's flyball to right moved him over. Another reason to keep LoDuca in the six or seven hole. Xavier Nady batted seventh today behind LoDuca.......Norfolk mannager Ken Oberkfel had surgery today and its uncertain who will open the season as AAA manager. Either Howard Johnson or Randy Niemann are quite capable.........Rey Ramirez gave me a tour of the clubhouse today and got to see the improvements......He and Mike Herbst have been very nice , treating me as a old colleague. Alumini I guess.....I spoke with Keith Hernandez today and he agreed to speak with me more on Thursday about my book. I told him how much I loved his TV work and he was gracious in his thanks. No. Thank you, Keith. You're really good at it....I interviewed HoJo for the book today. He still wears number 20 and looks as if he can still play.He says Tim Teufel, his best friend, is in private business but living near Port St. Lucie.......I reminded Hernandez how everyone balked at coming over to PSL from St Petersburg as everyone loved it so much. But now he...and so many other old Mets now make it home. Besides Hernandez, HoJo, Teufel, Niemann, Al Jackson. Joe McIlvaine, and Frank Cashen now call it home. I'm sure there are others......Speaking of Cashen, I had a chance to say hello to him in the elevator today at Tradition Field. He walks with a cane now, but the eyes are still clever and the mind and wit still as sharp as ever.

1 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Mets Guy in Michigan said...

I LOVE hearing these stories!

I met Al Jackson once for an interview when he was a coach for the Orioles. He was really nice and helpful.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home