Saturday, March 25, 2006

Today's the day.....

,,,that I make the drive to Port St. Lucie. I live in the Panhandle of Florida. Bush Country for all my liberal democrat readers. Please don't hate and take me off your favorites. Some last minute laundry and tidying up before I launch out of here.

Quite a change things are. Ever the dinasour and cheap bastard I am, I actually broke down and got one of those cheapy cell phones last night. You know the ones with no contract and all. I got a little dictaphone, too. I even got a digital camera. How else could I play the role of freelance writer and blogger without all these props?

I missed the game terribly after my firing in 1991. Still in New York, I couldn't bring myself to watch any baseball on TV. I only visited Shea twice in the three years I remained in New York. My son helped change all that as he started to play the game and watch it on TV. Playing ball in the backyard with your son is an undescribable pleasure and right of passage. My father was tall and thin and was lefthanded. He used a first baseman's mit. Its still in the top of the closet in my old bedroom in the home I grew up in.

On the day I was let go by the Mets, Mom told me that I could always write and that it was something I needed to do. Of course at the time, I didn't want to hear any of that. But it was always there in the back of my mind, somehow as something there that had to be taking care of at some time.

I moved to South Carolina in 1994 to work for a PT clinic and work with a local school district. I got to work some with the University of South Carolina's Atletic Training Curriculium, mentoring and doing some teaching. For awhile it filed a void I has missed as a trainer. Content with things, I started going out onto my a porch at night and while listening to some music, and I began scribbling some things down on legal pads. The music helped me remember.

A girl who worked at the clinic with me gave me the second hand computer her father had given her for school. It was an old bank computer and she had a new one. So in 1997, I began getting up every morning around 3 to write. Luckily I didnt have to be at the clinic until 9. In three months I had an all-but-complete manuscript.

As a new acquaintance with Sports Illustrated told be in December though, it layed dormant. After suffering through the rejections of the publishing industry for about six months, I put it aside. But a blogger and now good friend, David Pinto of BaseballMusings offered to post an exerpt. I got a call, I started a blog, and here I am now.

Like many who have been blessed enough to have some part in the game, I'm above all else, a fan. In my book, I occassionally third person myself as an interloper. Maybe this gives you some sort of insight into the way I write about baseball. I'm like you and want you to feel it as I did.

I don't know how much and in what form I'll be blogging from Port St. Lucie, or even how I'll be received by old teammates when they know I'm writing a book. Howard Johnson and Tim Teufel know and we're trading phone calls now. But its under other circumstances now and they may see me differently. Its been 20 years now since 1986, and we're all changed men now in many ways, older and wiser. I can't wait to see them.

2 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home