Saturday, April 15, 2006

Witnessing History: Hank Aaron's 715th Homerun

In my son's bedroom a large poster of Hank Aaron's 715th homerun still is up. The large photo was taken from the camera box next to the first base dugout at the now torn down Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium right after Aaron hit the ball. You see Dodger infielder's Ron Cey and Bill Russell looking up at the ball as it passes above them. A panoramic view of the full stadium is represented beyond. Two ticket stubs are placed over the seats at field level down the leftfield line. I was there. And with my father.
I usually remember the anniversary of April 8. Now 32 years ago, I still recall it vividly.
In my own personal journey of writing about baseball I have some attempts at creative writing. Maybe its prose. Maybe its just lonely drivel. But hearing from many of you, I've realized how baseball is so personal to us. So I think you'll understand me wanting to share this little brief bit about the event and what it meant to my father and I.
Thanks for reading it.


Father sat on his left. The
innocent boy's image was of the
coliseum and cheering masses. The
dark,
cool April sky was the theatre
ceiling. Four balls went well
away from the
great man. Discontented, the
masses howled and
implied
mockery. A wait for nextxt time.

An
offer
skipped through sandy dirt and was quickly tossed back.
Fifty-thousand
rained indignation at the obvious slight. Yet during the
masked man soft toss
back was a warming felt by the boy. A
knowing

The great man swished a bat back and
forth. A head
cocked. A
blink. A stoppage in time
revealed a ball sailing on a fateful
flight for the great man. His seven, one
and five. A moment shared. A
father and
son,a knowing smile, forever
love, never to be broken by
neither death or
the end of time.

3 Comments:

At 2:24 AM, Anonymous domain hosting said...

HEEEEEELLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOO BLOGGERSSSSSS..

I would like to tell everyone I know about a new web site for domain hosting... If you are looking on ways to mkae money starting a business and need a site to host it on . Visit http://webhost-er.com/ Today

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home